Can't find an answer you are looking for? Try the FAQs below.

General Information

Where is the Office of the University Registrar located? What are the hours of operation?
The Office of the University Registrar is located in Martin Hall - Room 171. Hours of operation are as follows: Mon-Thurs 7:30-5:00 and Friday 7:30-12:30. Detailed information can be found on our Contact Us page.


How do I request a copy of my transcript?
You can request a copy of your official transcript through the Parchment Transcript Request Site. You can find detailed information on the process on the transcripts page

Can I have someone pick up my transcript for me?
Students can send family members or friends to pick up a transcript on their behalf. If you are sending someone else to pick up your transcript on your behalf, please provide him/her with a dated letter that clearly states your name and ULID, his/her name and what you are allowing him/her to do (Example: I John Doe (U12345678) allow Jane Smith to pick up my official transcript). Please ensure that the letter includes your handwritten signature. We require your signature due to FERPA privacy regulations.

What is the difference between an electronic official transcript and a transcript?
Official transcripts can now be issued both as an electronic (in a certified PDF document) and paper transcript. Both documents are official versions of your transcript

Is there a fee for transcripts?

There is no fee associated with the request of your Official Transcript.

How long does it take to get my transcipt?

Varies based on processing time and the type of request (paper versus electronic). More information can be found on the transcripts page.


I can't register because of a hold on my account. What do I do?
Detailed information on holds and the office to contact can be found on the registration holds page.

I am an incoming Freshman, when do I register for class?
You will complete Registration during your selected Orientation session. During Orientation, there is schedule time for you to meet with an advisor to aid you in course selection.

When does advising and registration begin for the next semester?

Advising dates are available on the Academic Calendar. Registration time tickets are based on hours earned, therefore everyone's is a different time. You can view your registration time via ULink.


I want to drop a class. Where do I go?
You must consult with/drop a course with the specific office based on your classification/student type. 

Am I responsible for Tuition and Fees if I drop(withdraw) a single course or group of courses?
Yes, you are financially responsible for your course(s) if you withdraw past the schedule adjustment period (See Academic Calendar).

Am I responsible for Tuition and Fees if resign from all courses?
The Credit Adjustment Policy outlines the specific dates in which refund is applicable - this is for resignations only ("dropping all classes" - no longer enrolled for the term).

What is the difference between Resigning and Withdrawing?

Withdrawing, often referred to as dropping, means that you are dropping one specific course or multiple courses from your schedule. However, you will continue to be enrolled for the term in the remainder of your scheduled courses. You are financially responsible for a course if you are withdrawing.

Resigning refers to dropping all of your courses in term - you will have no remaining schedule. There is short Credit Adjustment Period due to Resignation.

Tuition and Fees

Where can I pay my tuition/fees?
Tuition and fee payments are paid online via ULink.  Please check with the Office of the Bursar (Student Cashier Center) regarding alternate methods of payment that may be available.

What is a Tuition and Fee Appeal?
To dispute tuition and mandatory fee charges once you’ve resigned, you must make a formal appeal to the Tuition and Fee Appeals Committee. Disputes are only considered under extenuating circumstances such as family emergency, unanticipated medical reasons or unexpected financial crisis.

All fees associated with Housing and/or Meal Plans are not subject to appeal through this process.

Once a past debt to the University has been sent to the Attorney General's Office for collection, an appeal is no longer possible through the Tuition and Fee Appeal Committee. Students should communicate directly with the Attorney General’s Office regarding setting up payment.

How do I find out the outcome of my tuition and fee appeal?
An email will be sent to you at the email address provided with your appeal. 

Updating Personal Information

How do I update my name, address, or personal email?
Please complete the Change of Student Information form for (address, phone or email). For a Change of Name, please complete the Name Change form and submit all required supporting documentation.


How do I qualify for in-state tuition?
All inquiries can be made by contacting the Registrar's Office directly to discuss eligibility and the process.


How do I apply for graduation?
Please visit Apply for Graduation for more information.

Am I required to attend commencement?
Yes, attendance at commencement is required.

Where can I find detailed information on Commencement?
Information regarding the current Commencement exercises, including the commencement schedule, is available on the Commencement website.


How can I obtain a verification of a student's enrollment?
Enrollment verifications on can be requested using the Certification for Information Form.

How can I obtain a verification of a student's degree?
Online verifications may be requested online by contacting the National Student Clearinghouse.

Academic Facilities Room Usage

How do I book an academic facility for a Student Organization meeting or function?
The Office of Student Engagement and Leadership has a step-by-step tutorial on booking rooms on campus for Student Organizations. All Student Organization Events must be registered on OrgSync. Union events are booked through EMS. All other spaces require an Academic Facility Request Form.