Preferred/Used/Chosen Name FAQs

What is a preferred/used/chosen name?

A preferred/used/chosen name is any name a student chooses to use other than their legal name.

Why is it important for students to have the option to utilize a preferred/used/chosen name instead of their legal name? 

The University strives to provide a welcoming and inclusive learning and working environment to students. As such, the University allows students to request a preferred/used/chosen name to be utilized in certain University records and documents. The University recognizes that using a preferred/used/chosen name may be beneficial to a student's experience at the university. We encourage students to use the preferred/used/chosen name option if they would like their first name to be adjusted from their legal name. 

How do I add a preferred/used/chosen name? Remove? Edit?

Students can add, revise, or remove their preferred/used/chosen name by completing the Preferred/Used/Chosen Name Request Form (Under the Records header). Once the form is processed, students will receive an email notification of the change.

If I complete a request for a preferred/used/chosen name, will it appear across all of the University's systems?

At this time, certain systems and legal limitations prevent us from displaying a student's preferred/used/chosen name on ALL systems used by students, faculty, and staff. The University is committed in utilizing a student's preferred/used/chosen name in as many areas as possible. We are actively working on implementing the usage of preferred/used/chosen name across our many platforms. Keep in mind, legally there are certain areas in which we are not able to utilize the preferred/used/chosen name. A comprehenisive list of updated systems may be found here

Can I change my last or middle name?

Preferred/used/chosen name is only to be utilized for the first name field. A middle or last name cannot be altered. 

What if I am a student/graduate employee of the University?

At this time, individuals who are both students and also have an appointment with the University must follow all legal requirements for employment. Those who are student employees, TAs, or GAs should contact Human Resources. 

Who should I contact if I have more questions about the Preferred/Used/Chosen Name Policy/usage? 

For additional information on the preferred/used/chosen name policy/usage, please contact the Office of the Registrar at