Health & Safety FAQs

The University is taking safety measures to maintain the cleanliness of our campus to mitigate any spread of a possible infection.

Our custodial staff meets daily to discuss and follow up on all safety requirements, updates, and changes regarding the COVID-19 virus. Academic building inspections are taking place multiple times a day across our campus. The staff is using approved disinfecting agents to kill all bacterial, viral, and infection droplets on all surfaces, door handles, stair rails, restroom facilities, and water fountains. All hand sanitizing dispensers are checked multiple times daily.

Student Health FAQs    |    Employee Health FAQs

Coronavirus Safety Advice & Tips

Student Health 

Where can I get a COVID-19 test?

The University's Student Health Services is testing symptomatic students for COVID-19 by appointment only. Call (337) 482-1293 to schedule a test on campus. Find an alternate COVID-19 testing site on the Louisiana Department of Health website.

The federal government will also ship free At-Home Test Kits to you. Learn more and order COVID-19 test kits.

How do I get a COVID-19 vaccine?

COVID-19 vaccinations are critical to reduce the severity of illness and protect high-risk populations and are required for all UL Lafayette students. The CDC recommends that individuals stay up to date with COVID-19 vaccines and booster shots. Learn more about COVID-19 booster shots.

The University is not currently administering COVID-19 vaccines. Find a list of vaccine providers on the LDH website or call the Louisiana vaccine hotline at 1-855-453-0774. The vaccine hotline can also connect you with medical professionals who can answer questions.

I've been fully vaccinated. How do I submit my proof of vaccination to UL Lafayette?

If you have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, submit completed vaccination documentation in the Medicat Patient Portal.

Please note only vaccines approved by the WHO/U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will be accepted.

What if I have symptoms or have been exposed to COVID-19?

Students who feel ill should stay home and call Student Health Services at (337) 482-1293 to schedule an appointment. Students are required to report illness or a known COVID-19 exposure via the UL Lafayette Student Quarantine and Isolation form.

View pdfs of the CDC's latest quarantine and isolation guidelines and what to do if you have been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19.

What should I do if I am immuno-compromised, live with someone who is, or I just don't feel comfortable coming to courses in person this semester?

Consider your personal situation and determine if you can attend face-to-face classes. If you determine you should not attend classes on campus, review the course schedule and choose classes that are held online, remote, or that are HyFlex.

Though HyFlex courses have an in-person component, many can be modified to 100-percent remote delivery by working with the instructor.

Do I have to wear a mask on campus?

Face coverings are recommended, but not required in all University spaces.

Additional exemptions and face covering guidelines are outlined in the policy. Read the Face Covering Policy on the University Policies website.

Disposable face masks will be available in all buildings, residence halls, and departments across campus should you forget, lose, or misplace yours.

Students with disabilities should register with the Office of Disability Services to discuss accommodations for the semester. This includes concerns about wearing masks due to a disability.

What should I do if I am feeling anxious or overwhelmed by the COVID-19 pandemic, my courses, or anything else?

Talk to someone. The University's Counseling and Testing Center offers counseling sessions to students and employees for free.

The Counseling and Testing Center is offering sessions by phone and online only. To schedule a session, please contact us at our office at 337-482-6480 or by email at


Employee Health

Is the COVID-19 vaccine required for employees?

All University students and employees who are not fully vaccinated are strongly encouraged to consider vaccination. It is the most effective defense against infection and severe illness related to the virus. Vaccinations, combined with booster shots, have also been shown to be highly effective against COVID-19 strains, such as the Omicron variant. You can find COVID-19 vaccination providers in your area here.

If I am diagnosed with COVID-19, who should I notify?

Faculty and staff members who test positive for COVID-19 must contact their supervisors and complete the COVID-19 Positive Test Reporting Form.

View a pdf of the CDC's latest quarantine and isolation guidelines.

How will the University inform community members of protocols around campus?

Information regarding campus protocols will be available on this website and shared on our social media channels.

Are face masks required?

Face coverings are recommended, but not required in all University spaces.

However, a department or unit may require all individuals wear face coverings over their mouths and noses if it is determined to be necessary during a specific face-to-face course, in a specific classroom, laboratory, and/or private office/workspace, or other areas.

Additional exemptions and face covering guidelines are outlined in the policy. Read the Face Covering Policy on the University Policies website.

How will workspaces and offices be maintained and cleaned?

The Office of Environmental Health and Safety is responsible for the approval, central storage, and distribution of disinfectants. In collaboration with the Office of Student Health Services and ABM America (the University's custodial vendor), the following are approved products that will remove contaminants from any surface. They include:

  • VIREX surface cleaner;
  • hand sanitizing liquid;
  • disinfectant wipes; and
  • bleach. 

These products are also available at Central Receiving at 429 Cherry St. and may be picked up by departmental representatives.

Plexiglass face masks and shields are being ordered for workstations of employees who will have to interact face-to-face with others and are unable to social distance.

Please submit an Online Work Order Form for any of the needs above. Work Orders can be submitted via the online work order form. Choose “COVID supplies" under Type of Service.

To minimize costs, the Office of Purchasing requests that departments refrain from purchasing these items on LaCarte cards or otherwise. For other emergency supply needs, please email

What should I do if I have come in contact with an individual that is known to have tested positive for COVID-19 or lives with someone who has tested positive?

Faculty and staff members who work on campus and remotely who have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 must complete the employee COVID-19 Exposure Form.

View a pdf of the CDC's latest quarantine and isolation guidelines.

What are the University’s self-isolating procedures?

Employees residing in University housing should self-quarantine based on the advice of their healthcare provider or utilize the Quarantine and Isolation Guide. You must also notify Student Health Services if you reside in a facility occupied by students.

What is the University doing to support employees who are sick?

Employees who are sick with COVID-19 or other illnesses have various leave options available to them. For more information relevant to a specific COVID-19 leave situation visit the Employee Leave Guidance web page.

What is the University doing to support employees who are caring for dependents at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic?

Employees who are caring for dependents have various leave options available to them. Contact Human Resources for more information relevant to their specific situation.

What should I do if I am at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19?

Some employees with an immunocompromised or weakened immune system may need to isolate from the workplace to avoid a risk of exposure.

The high-risk immunological disorder (compromised immune system) must be supported by medical certification. Such certification should be forwarded to the Office of Human Resources.

Whom should I contact if I am feeling anxious, have experienced losses, or am struggling to cope and to come to terms with the impact of COVID-19?

Employees seeking emotional support for coping with the impact of COVID-19 can contact the Counseling and Testing Center or contact their health insurance provider for mental healthcare coverage options.

If I have experienced harassment or bias related to concerns about the virus, who should I contact?

Fear of the COVID-19 pandemic should not be misdirected against individuals because of a protected characteristic, including their national origin, race, or other prohibited bases. All University employees are responsible for watching for, stopping, and reporting any harassing, discriminatory, or bias-related activity.

The University will immediately review any allegations of harassment or discrimination and take appropriate action.