UL Lafayette police department partners with Fort Worth-based nonprofit Project Beloved to set up comforting interview room for assault victims
The Hall of Honor at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette grew by 26 Thursday night. The number of plaques in the Hall grow each year as the Foundation honors donors who established endowments at UL Lafayette.
This year’s honorees created one chair, 12 professorships and nine scholarships. In addition, recognized donors created two research endowments and made contributions to the Paul and Lulu Hilliard University Art Museum and athletics.
These endowments are represented each with a plaque in the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Foundation Distinguished Donor Hall of Honor at Martin Hall. This year’s additions brings the total number of plaques in the Hall to 250. Each plaque includes the names of the donors and represents a contribution of $50,000 or more for endowed chairs, professorships, scholarships, athletics and faculty development funds.
“ Each year, the university’s list of donors grows longer and longer and the Hall of Honor continually gets larger. This is a testament to the generous spirits of the university’s donors and their commitment to higher education and UL Lafayette,” said Julie Bolton Falgout, executive director of the Foundation.
The UL Lafayette Foundation Distinguished Donor Hall of Honor recognizes private gifts given to the university. These gifts generate funds in perpetuity.
The principal from the endowment remains in a perpetual fund that continues to increase while earned income is distributed as dedicated for student scholarships, professor salaries or research supplements.
Through the Louisiana Board of Regents Support Fund, the state matches funds raised by the university for endowed chairs and professorships. For every $600,000 UL Lafayette receives for an endowed chair, the state matches $400,000, bringing each chair to $1 million. Likewise, for every $60,000 UL Lafayette receives for a professorship, the state provides a $40,000 match, bringing each professorship to $100,000.
“ The benefits from these endowments are far-reaching. They will help students and faculty on campus now and they will also contribute to the lives of students and faculty for many years to come,” said Dr. Ray Authement, UL Lafayette president. “It’s wonderful to see higher education as a priority for so many people and it’s wonderful to know higher education will remain a priority because of these donors’ gifts.”
Honored Thursday were the donors who established the following endowments:
• George and Adelaide Trahan Abraham Endowed Professorship in Education
• Bella Nickerson Chappuis Abramson Endowed Professorship in Cinematic Arts
• American Association of Drilling Engineers Endowed Scholarship in Petroleum Engineering
• Vesta R. Bourgeois Alumni Endowed Scholarship
• Vesta R. Bourgeois Health, Physical Education and Recreation Research Endowment
• Harold J. Callais Memorial Endowed Scholarship in Electrical and Computer Engineering
• Harold J. Callais Memorial Endowed Professorship in Electrical and Computer Engineering II
• Dr. Tommy Comeaux Memorial Endowed Professorship in Traditional Music VII
• Dominion Exploration and Production Endowment
• Marvin and Anna DuBos/Lafayette Art Association Endowed Scholarship in Visual Arts
• Capt. Glen E. Dupuis Memorial Endowed Scholarship in Civil Engineering
• En Avant Federated Club Endowed Scholarship in Liberal Arts and Education
• Herbert A. and Mary Elizabeth Hamilton Endowed Scholarship in Business Administration
• Paul and Lulu Hilliard for contributions to the Paul and Lulu Hilliard University Art Museum
• IBERIABANK Athletic Endowment for Ragin’ Cajun Baseball
• Charles V. Jenkinson Memorial Endowed Scholarship in Engineering
• Florence Sanders Jones Endowed Scholarship in English
• Elmo John Laborde Jr. Memorial Endowed Professorship in Accounting
• Lafayette General Medical Center Endowed Professorship in Health Sciences
• Lee and Ken Matherne Endowed Professorship in Engineering
• Florence Mauboules Endowed Professorship in Education
• Mr. and Mrs. E.P. “Pat” Nalley Endowed Professorship in Business Administration 2006
• Philip and Jean Piccione Endowed Professorship in Statistics II
• Kathy Authement Prouet Memorial Endowed Professorships in Education I and II, established through the generosity of Lee and Margaret Matherne
• Loyd J. Rockhold Endowed Professorship in Child Development
• Loyd J. Rockhold Eminent Scholar Endowed Chair in Child Development.