To be considered for financial aid, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

The FAFSA also serves Louisiana residents as the recommended application for TOPS. If you are not from Louisiana, check with your state's higher education agency to see if an additional application is needed to be considered for state aid. We recommend you submit the online FAFSA.

Important Dates

October 1FAFSA available for next academic year
March 1Recommended filing date for the FAFSA
May 1Filing deadline for priority financial aid processing

You can still apply after the deadline, but it could cause delays and hardships, so we encourage you to complete the process before May 1. Financial aid applications submitted after May 1 will be processed in the order received.


The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Title IV school code is 002031.

Parent Information

If you are considered a dependent student for FAFSA purposes, you must provide information about your legal parent(s) on the application. A legal parent is your biological or adoptive parent, or your legal parent as determined by the state (for example, if the parent is listed on your birth certificate). Unless otherwise noted, “parent” means your legal (biological and/or adoptive) parent.

For more information about parents, contributors, and whose information to provide on your FAFSA based on your parents' marital status, visit this website.


To file your FAFSA electronically, you'll need to apply for an FSA ID. This FSA ID will authenticate your identity and will be used for numerous federal financial aid processes. If you are a dependent student, who is assumed to have the support of parents, then at least one of your parents will need an FSA ID also. 

Your FSA ID can be used to:

  • Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form online
  • Complete other online forums (such as the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling) required to receive federal loans
  • Review the federal student aid you've received

Federal Tax Information (FTI)

Both a dependent student and their contributor must provide consent and approval to have their FTI transferred into the FAFSA form. A contributor is a dependent student’s biological or adoptive parent. If consent is not provided, the student will not be eligible for federal aid. Consent must be provided even if a tax return was not filed.

Helpful FAFSA Resources