Student Complaints

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette encourages students attempting to resolve issues or complaints with the University to use the complaint process found in the Student Policies of the Student Handbook online.  
Students are encouraged to first bring the matter to the attention of the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs at the University. 

Student Affairs Division 
P.O. Box 44572, Lafayette LA 70504 
Martin Hall, Room 211 
Phone: 337-482-6276 

If you are an out-of-state student and are unable to resolve a complaint with Student Affairs, or feel that not all issues were resolved with the final disposition, you may appeal to the Louisiana Board of Regents, the SARA Portal Entity, unless you live in California. 

To learn more about the Louisiana Board of Regents complaint process and form, visit the Board of Regents website. 

Learn more about state authorization reciprocity agreements (NC-SARA), which govern this process, through the National Council for SARA website
As of Aug. 28, 2018, California is the only state that does not participate in SARA. 

California residents taking online courses who feel an issue cannot be resolved in the Office of Student Affairs may file a complaint or grievance about the University of Louisiana at Lafayette in California. 

Visit the Department of Consumer Affairs, State of California to learn more about the student complaint process.