Our speciality is applied research that solves real-world problems. Sustainability, healthcare, new economies, new technologies, new processes, new products, new ideas—those are today’s challenges. We’re taking on these challenges and building research partnerships among University students, faculty, government research labs, and the private sector to effectively change the world for the better.
We’re hands-on. Both undergraduate and graduate students have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to the world’s body of knowledge.
Our faculty has a wealth of expertise and top-notch resources to offer everything it takes to awaken the change agent in students. Faculty members—many of whom are award winners—are continuously making discoveries, pushing boundaries, inventing tools, all the while sharing these experiences and excitement in their classrooms with their students.
Current research underway at the university includes:
- Biological research and development related to protecting, restoring, and managing natural resources, with an emphasis on fish, wildlife, and wetlands in the South;
- Performance computer modeling powered by the fastest, most comprehensive supercomputing and 3D immersive visualization systems and massive data storage capabilities available today;
- Applied research to support the development of knowledge economies in Louisiana and throughout the U.S. and bring innovations to the marketplace to foster healthcare and economic development;
- Child development including psycho-social and biological risk factors for developmental disabilities and secondary conditions; and
- Developing tools to transform "data” into health care solutions, specifically addressing childhood obesity.